Professional Child and Youth Care provides a comprehensive analysis of the child and youth care field in Canada. The first edition, published in 1987, developed an inclusive model of the broad field of child and youth care, which has since been adapted by educators, practitioners, and researchers across North America. Now this widely used text has been revised and expanded to include developments that have occurred in the field in the last decade. All the chapters have been updated, and two new chapters on rehabilitation and recreation have been added.
The book covers a spectrum of key concerns within the field of child and youth care, and presents an analysis that spans a variety of program areas. The authors propose that the similarities across practice settings are greater than the differences, and they suggest that adopting an inclusive, generic view of the field presents opportunities for development and growth in a time of diminishing resources and support for services. They advocate a model of professional development for child and youth care that maintains a primary focus on the needs of children, youth, and families, and propose that by being flexible and adaptive, child and youth care practitioners can successfully navigate a difficult economic period and emerge as leaders and innovators within the human service sector.
Professional Child and Youth Care is a practical, applied book that will be of considerable interest to students, practitioners, and educators in the field.
Preface to the First Edition
1. The Scope of Child and Youth Care in Canada / Roy Ferguson, Alan Pence, and Carey Denholm
2. Residential Child and Youth Care / Gerry Fewster and Thom Garfat
3. Child and Youth Care and the Canadian Youth Justice System / Del Phillips and Barbara Maslowsky
4. Canadian School-based Child and Youth Care / Carey Denholm and David Watkins
5. Child-Life Programs: Fostering Coping and Development of Children and Families in Health Settings / Carolyn Larsen, Roy Ferguson, and Leigh Parish
6. Child Day Care in Canada: A Child and Youth Care Perspective / Alan Pence, Patricia Canning, and Sandra Griffin
7. Infant Development Programs / Dana Brynelsen, Helen Cummins, and Valerie Gonzales
8. Child and Youth Care Work in the Community / Peter Gabor and Valerie Kuehne
9. Recreation Services / Gary Young and Kevin Pike
10. Children, Youth, and Disability: A Community Approach to Rehabilitation / Roy Brown
11. Parent Education and Support: An Emerging Field for Child and Youth Care Work / James Anglin and Robert Glossop
12. The Future of Child and Youth Care in Canada / Alan Pence, Roy Ferguson, and Carey Denholm
Receive the latest UBC Press news, including events, catalogues, and announcements.Subscribe to our newsletter now
Read past newsletters