Drawing on avant garde and classical Japanese dance traditions, the Alishina Method offers a systematized approach to Butoh dance training for the first time in its history. With practical instruction and fully illustrated exercises, this book teaches readers:
· basic body training and expression exercises
· exercises to cultivate Qi (energy) and to aid improvisation
· about katas (forms) and how to develop your own
· the importance of voice, sound and music in Butoh
· to collaborate and be in harmony with others
· techniques to manipulate time and space
· how to develop the imagination and refine the senses to enrich performance.
This authentic approach to Japanese dance will be compelling reading for anyone interested in contemporary dance, performance arts, Japanese culture or personal development techniques.
Receive the latest UBC Press news, including events, catalogues, and announcements.Subscribe to our newsletter now
Read past newsletters