City of Virtues
Nanjing in an Age of Utopian Visions
The book makes an important contribution . . . and fits nicely into a growing body of recent scholarship that is reevaluating nineteenth-century China in general and mid-century rebellions in particular.
This is good work, well executed, and the product of years of skilled research. It connects to several areas of recent interest in the field: urban history, the Taiping civil war, political culture, and the relationship between literary landscape and other geographies.
Reign Dates of the Ming and Qing Dynasties
Introduction: An Age of Utopian Visions
1. The Qianlong Emperor's Tours of the Imperial City, 1751-84
2. Literati Politics in the Early Nineteenth Century
3. Wang Shiduo's Flight from the New Jerusalem, 1853-64
4. Zeng Guofan's Construction of a Ritual Center, 1864-72
5. Chen Zuolin Reassembles the Poetic City, 1872-1912
Conclusion: Elements of Utopia
Abbreviations Used in the Notes
Receive the latest UBC Press news, including events, catalogues, and announcements.Subscribe to our newsletter now
Read past newsletters