Once your manuscript has been approved for publication, you need to prepare it so that it can be transmitted to our Production Department. UBC Press uses an online form to submit your manuscript; your acquisitions editor will provide you with a link to access it. They will also provide you with the UBC Press Manuscript Submission Guidelines that will help you prepare all of your files. Please use the checklist provided below to prepare your manuscript for submission.
Author/Editor Personal Information
Much of the information in this section is requested so that UBC Press can enter your book’s bibliographic details into Library and Archive Canada’s catalogue system. Other items are requested in order for UBC Press to provide demographic reporting for various grants and awards.
You will need to provide the following information for each author/editor.
- Full names, including middle names
- Names as authors/editors wish them to appear on the book cover, if different from full name
- Date of birth and citizenship details
- Contact information (mailing address, email address, and telephone number)
- Details of previous books published by each author/editor (up to 5 books per author/editor)
- Short and long biographies for each author/editor
Most of the information you will be providing in this section will be used as the basis to create marketing and promotional materials for your book.
You will need to provide the following information for your book:
- Working title
- Main audiences (e.g., students, academics, policymakers)
- Main subject areas (e.g., anthropology, political science, geography)
- A 200-word description
- Use the first paragraph to tell the reader why your book is important
- Use the second paragraph to briefly describe the content of the book
- Use the third paragraph to provide a strong closing synopsis of the book, including conclusions
- A snappy one-line description which distills the book’s essence for the reader
- Comparative titles from other publishers (up to 5)
- The book’s uniqueness within the field
- Any changes, if your book is a new edition
- Any languages that appear in the book, besides English
- A decision on whether you will prepare your own index, or pay UBC Press to create one for you, at a rate of $6 per typeset page
- Any suggestions or preferences you may have with regards to the cover design
- Any suggestions you may have with regards to awards your book may be eligible for
Text and Data Permissions
You will need to seek permissions for lengthy text excerpts from other sources, for material quoted from interviews conducted during your work, or if substantial portions of your book have been published elsewhere. More details can be found in the Permissions Guidelines and the Sample Permissions Request Form.
You will need to provide the following information for each item that needs permission:
- Type (text excerpt, interview, previously published material)
- A short description of the item
- Credit information
- Permissions status
- Any notes, permissions restrictions, etc.
You will be asked to upload all permissions documentation. These contracts will provide UBC Press with any information on restrictions, exact wording for credit lines, etc.
In addition to all of your final artwork files, you will need to provide the following information for each image. Alt-text is required for each image, but you may decide to pay UBC Press to create alt-text for you, at a rate of between $8 and $15 per image, depending on the complexity of the image.
You will need to provide the following information for each image:
- File name (ideally this will match the figure number, e.g., Figure 1.3 or Figure 4)
- Image type (map, line drawing, photo, graph, diagram)
- Alt-text (optional, as above; see our Alt-Text Guidelines)
- Credit information
- Permissions status
- Any notes on how the image should be cropped or if there are any permissions restrictions
Once you have provided all of this information, you will upload your artwork files directly into the portal. These files should be zipped into a compressed folder. Please check the Artwork Guidelines for information on how to do this.
You will also be asked to upload all permissions documentation for your images. These contracts will provide UBC Press with any information on print run restrictions, exact wording for credit lines, etc.
You will be asked to provide a name and contact information (email address, telephone number, and street address) for the person to whom any charges should be sent. These may be charges for the writing of your alt-text, the creation of your index, the creation of any maps, or any images over the first twenty.
You will be asked whether you have provided your signed contract and, if necessary, your signed contributor agreements.
You will also be required to upload your final manuscript. For more information, please consult the following:
Receive the latest UBC Press news, including events, catalogues, and announcements.