Looking at the positive influences, great talents and unique thought processes of individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders, this book is a celebration of those who have used their autism to shine in life.
Writers from all over the world at different stages in their careers, and from very different backgrounds, share their experiences of creating a successful life on the autism spectrum. Each explains how it is possible to draw on autistic strengths not just to make your way in the world, overcoming challenges and obstacles, but also to make your life a real success. Education, the world of work, and relationships are the focus of the first part of the book, which then goes on to look at exceptional creativity, and the use of special interests.
The autobiographical stories in this book are full of wisdom and humour, and will be an inspiration for anyone with high-functioning autism or Asperger Syndrome, their family and friends, and the professionals who work alongside them.
Foreword. Tony Attwood.
Introduction. Josie Santomauro.
Part 1: Education.
1. An Education in Doodling. Jessica Peers.
2. The Ugly Duckling. Stan Hood.
3. Studying through Diagnosis. Iain Payne.
Part 2: Careers.
4. Talented People Getting Employed. Temple Grandin.
5. Counseling that Works. Roger N. Meyer.
6. To Be or Not to Be. Damian Santomauro.
7. Successful Management – Savant Style. Malcolm Johnson.
8. Super Strengths. Sondra Williams.
Part 3: Relationships.
9. Friendships – Aspie Style. Dr Wendy Lawson.
10. A Different Order of Being. Stephen Shore.
11. Talking to the Animals. Deborah Lipsky.
Part 4: Creativity.
12. Life on Stage. Robert McLachlan.
13. Donna Williams and The Aspinauts. Donna Williams.
14. Portraits – Learning Honesty in Art. Jeanette Purkis.
15. Asperger Syndrome: How It and Art Influence Me. Peter Myers.
16. Aural Sculpting – Before and After. Colin Webber.
Part 5: Special Interests.
17. Musical Creativity. Leith McMurray.
18. The Recordings of a Rock Wiz. Mark Boerebach.
19. Sci-Fi Reality. Will Hadcroft.
Receive the latest UBC Press news, including events, catalogues, and announcements.Subscribe to our newsletter now
Read past newsletters