Diversity and Equality
The Changing Framework of Freedom in Canada
This is a thoughtful and smart book; highly recommended for those working on the hard questions that multiculturalism generates for our theories of rights and justice.
Introduction: New Approaches to Fundamental Freedom in Canada / Avigail Eisenberg
1. Reconciling Struggles over the Recognition of Minorities: Towards a Dialogical Approach / James Tully
2. Reasoning about Identity: Canada’s Distinctive Culture Test / Avigail Eisenberg
3. The Imperative of “Culture” in a Colonial and de Facto Polity / Shauna McRanor
4. Culture as a Basic Human Right / Cindy Holder
5. The Misuse of “Culture” by the Supreme Court of Canada / Neil Vallance
6. Gender, Difference, and Anti-Essentialism: Towards a Feminist Response to Cultural Claims in Law / Maneesha Deckha
7. Interpreting the Identity Claims of Young Children / Colin Macleod
8. Protecting Confessions of Faith and Securing Equality of Treatment for Religious Minorities in Education /
9. The Irreducibly Religious Content of Freedom of Religion / Jeremy Webber
Notes on Contributors
Immigration and the Politics of Membership in Canada and Germany
Receive the latest UBC Press news, including events, catalogues, and announcements.